Strategic Plan 2022 - 2025
The Pasco Board of County Commissioners is pleased to present our 2022-2025 Pasco County Strategic Plan. The plan, developed over 18 months with input and suggestions from team members and external customers, will guide Pasco County Government’s actions and activities over the next four years. We are determined to continually work toward becoming Florida’s Premier County. Scroll down to see the four focus areas and supporting goals that frame the work we do.
To request a hard copy of the Strategic Plan, please e-mail: JBertsch@MyPasco.net.
Abate flood impacts on life and property.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 1.1
- Promote and participate in the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Manage current and future watershed conditions by maintaining a proactive maintenance and rehabilitation program as well as a capital improvement program through the Stormwater Master Plan and rate-assessment process.
- Limit floodplain encroachment through adherence to and enforcement of the Land Development Code and Comprehensive Plan requirements.
- Enhance identification and mitigation of vulnerable assets by performing a countywide vulnerability assessment, implementing a Resiliency Action Plan and integrating findings with the Local Mitigation Strategy
Plan, build, operate and maintain a safe, resilient and efficient multi-modal transportation and roadway infrastructure system.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 1.2
- Ensure a complete network of collectors, arterials and multi-modal features coordinated with land use and current planning to meet the mobility needs of Pasco County through a collaborative, coordinated planning and construction management effort.
- Enhance traffic safety and optimization through implementation of programmed operational and safety improvements.
- Develop transit initiatives to improve transportation choices and reduce network congestion.
- Develop a resilient roadway network with adequate evacuation routes from coastal zones.
- Maintain a proactive maintenance and rehabilitation program for county maintained transportation infrastructure with efficient technology and innovative processes.
Efficiently operate, maintain and expand utilities systems to provide potable water, wastewater, reclaimed water and solid waste services.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 1.3
- Operate infrastructure systems in a safe, compliant, effective and cost-efficient manner.
- Extend the useful life of utility assets by achieving a 70% ratio of planned maintenance hours to corrective maintenance hours for water, wastewater and reclaimed water systems.
- Accommodate anticipated demand and capacity needs by expanding infrastructure systems.
- Exceed customer expectations by providing quick and accurate service.
Incorporate sustainable practices into the development and redevelopment of Pasco communities in order to provide a diversity of land uses while prioritizing alternative modes of transportation and promoting great public spaces.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 1.4
- Establish urban design best practices for residential, commercial, industrial and office districts in the Land Development Code.
- Support availability of mixed income communities, which provide a variety of housing types that support a spectrum of quality affordable and attainable housing opportunities in appropriate locations.
- Increase quality in the public realm, both in existing and new neighborhoods, to promote functional, accessible and attractive places that are human scale and pedestrian and cycle-friendly.
- Increase developments that are compact and include sustainable, low-impact infrastructure design.
Improve public safety response and service delivery capabilities to increase resiliency in our rapidly-growing community.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 2.1
- Prepare for, pursue, achieve and maintain local, regional and national accreditations, while ensuring each division supports accreditation-based risk assessments and accreditation standards.
- Increase public education and public information outreach to provide actionable information to our citizens during emergencies and recoveries and to ensure swift and efficient services are provided to our citizens and visitors of Pasco County.
- Protect life, property and the environment from the effects of fire, medical emergencies, disasters and hazardous materials accidents to current and expanding service delivery areas.
- Increase E-911 staffing to ensure call takers are available to answer incoming 911 calls following International Academies of Emergency Dispatch protocols, while implementing a consistent and comprehensive training program.
- Evolve and support each department’s mission to ensure intact buildings and property rights of citizenship through a valid building code and fire safety inspection process.
- Ensure adequate training, available resources and current technology to effectively respond to, mitigate and recover from any local, state or national event that Pasco County may be requested to respond to.
- Update the county’s Post Disaster Redevelopment Plan every 5 years.
Deliver services creating impactful change that enhance self-sufficiency and quality of life.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 2.2
- Provide programs and services that assist citizens in overcoming transit, housing, educational and nutritional barriers to support self-sufficiency and enhanced quality of life.
- Focus equitable outreach and awareness efforts of available services and resources to underserved or vulnerable populations across the different districts within the county.
- Evaluate and satisfy unmet needs of citizens.
- Engage area partner agencies and service providers to share resources, align efforts and eliminate duplication of efforts to provide services that are efficient, equitable and adaptable.
Provide cultural, educational, recreational and social opportunities in Pasco County to improve overall quality of life.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 2.3
- Implement customer needs assessments to gauge citizen interest in the types of quality of life services desired by the community.
- Facilitate cultural, educational, recreational and social programming which fosters economic sustainability, supports job opportunities, and enhances the quality of life in Pasco County.
- Enhance awareness of, and community engagement with, cultural, educational, recreational (including coastal), social and economic assets that demonstrate an improved quality of life in Pasco County.
Protect, conserve, manage and restore the county’s natural resources including land, water and wildlife habitat.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 2.4
- Protect land in designated Ecological Corridors, Ecological Planning Units and other areas of priority.
- Protect Category 1 wetlands through development review (minus allowable uses).
- Improve or maintain natural habitats on passive parks and preserves.
- Deploy a sustainability plan to ensure efficient use of energy, water and other resources across operations, and deploy a coastal protection and resiliency plan.
- Improve water quality by preventing pollutants and hazardous materials from entering the natural waterways through regulatory and educational programming.
- Reduce water usage and stormwater runoff through water conservation strategies, including promoting Florida-Friendly Landscaping Principles.
Employ sound financial management practices leading to sustainable fiscal decision-making.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 3.1
- Maintain operating reserve targets across funds identified in the Financial Policies.
- Adopt financial management policies and best practices and update on a regular basis.
- Provide budget versus actual revenue and expenditure status information to the Pasco Board of Commissioners periodically for identified funds.
- Reduce the variance in projected versus actual revenue.
Become a regional leader attracting, retaining and growing businesses to achieve a strong, stable, diversified business mix and tax and employment base.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 3.2
- Retain and grow existing target industries and commercial businesses.
- Invest in public/private partnerships to increase the number of offices, industrial areas and development-ready sites available for job creation and economic development opportunities.
- Create economic incentives to attract higher-paying, full-time jobs and expand and diversify the tax base.
- Improve the marketing and development of Pasco County as a major sporting, leisure and group business destination.
Simplify and streamline review, inspections and permitting processes to facilitate commercial growth to make Pasco a great place to locate and operate a business.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 3.3
- Enhance Building Permits, Engineering Site Inspections and Building Inspections processes and procedures.
- Simplify and streamline processes and regulations by optimizing Site Development Review.
- Expand communications and access to information through technological enhancements.
- Right-size our workforce to meet capacity and capability.
Foster and promote relationships through a collaborative environment that provides for positive economic and community outcomes.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 3.4
- Cultivate new relationships and engage private and public partnerships to provide opportunities to improve the quality of life and economic sustainability of Pasco County.
- Expand existing relationships and commitment in the public and private sectors to achieve the objectives of the county’s mission.
- Engage in communication with our community, neighborhoods and stakeholders to obtain feedback and contribute towards policy implementation.
- Improve interdepartmental and interagency collaboration by implementing a standardized, coordinated approach to information collection and sharing among County departments and partners to advance positive community outcomes through positive economic growth.
Deliver services that exceed customer expectations in a manner that builds trust, inspires confidence and promotes accountability.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 4.1
- Optimize the customer experience utilizing intuitive, customer-centric approaches to achieve exceptional outcomes and satisfaction in every program and service.
- Consistently collect, analyze and use data to drive new ways to reach our customers and enhance existing services.
- Optimize service delivery across all areas of the business to ensure, enhance and grow service delivery quality to customers.
- Standardize and centralize communications efforts of all media to ensure consistent, valuable messaging to customers.
Foster a safe, organizational culture that is characterized by open communication, high performance and an engaged workforce.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 4.2
- Attract qualified candidates for each recruitment, and ensure long-term growth throughout their career with the county.
- Encourage and support timely and effective decision-making at all levels of the organization.
- Provide team members with competitive pay, excellent benefits and a safe work environment; and the tools, technology and resources in order to perform at the highest level.
- Provide opportunities for personal and professional growth and development.
- Communicate effectively to ensure all team members understand their purpose and contribution to the mission and vision of the organization.
Systematically develop, evaluate and improve organizational performance.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 4.3
- Provide robust performance improvement training opportunities to increase workforce capability and culture.
- Integrate Performance Development Analysts within each branch to lead performance improvement requirements and personnel.
- Continuously measure, analyze and improve department processes and procedures to achieve optimal results.
- Establish and benchmark department performance measures using competitive operational and voice-of-customer data.
Foster a transformational culture that promotes innovation.
Strategies to Achieve Goal 4.4
- Inspire innovation through training and development opportunities at all levels of the organization.
- Eliminate organizational obstacles that interfere with disruptive innovation.
- Capture innovative suggestions and ideas using a design-thinking framework.
- Champion identified ideas into business plan initiatives.
- Recognize individual and group innovation throughout the organization.